Jill went to be with her Savior on May 24, 2007.  Her desire was to leave behind a testimony that would help others in some way to find Christ as she had.  Here is her testimony as told by her husband of 48 years, Philip.

On May 25, 1940, evacuation was started in Great Britain due to the heavy bombing.  The children were the first to be evacuated.  By June, over 100,000 children had been relocated to West Country or Wales.  In September, they began evacuation of the mothers of children as well.  It was a very difficult time on families because of the separation of the men from the rest of the family.  Unemployment was becoming astronomical.  By June 1, 1940, the unemployment reached 881,000, --- 611,000 in one year.  In May alone,  unemployment rose 114,000.  Food and money was very limited.

Jill's mother and siblings were evacuated to Wales during this time. 

Jill's mother, Florie, had four children, 3 girls and one boy.  She began an affair with a young man, Mervin Morris, and became pregnant.  As a result, Jill was born on December 31, 1941.  They remained in Wales till 1945.  The war ended and they returned to Great Yarmoth, Norfolk, England.

(From this point on, I will be relating the testimony of Jill's conversion in the first person because it is her story.)

Phil had been a Church of God minister before he enlisted in the Air Force, but had gone away from God before being sent to England.  When I met him he was a heavy drinker; I should say a drunk.  Every time I saw him he was either drunk or getting that way.  In spite of that, God drew us together.  We fell in love, got married, and came back to the States.

Phil continued to drink and our life together was going from bad to worse.  I had two children, and no family except our own.  I was ready to call it quits.  I had made up my mind to get a divorce and go back home to England. I just couldn't put up with it anymore.

My brother-in-law, Dan, who was a minister, had been assigned to a church in Waterloo, New York.  He, his wife, and 4 children, came to visit us while we were stationed at Wurtsmith AFB, in Michigan.  They stayed a few days but had to get back before the next Sunday.  They talked me into going back with them.  At that time, I had 2 children; Dale, who was 2-1/2, and Dean, who was just 8 months old.  They only had a small car.  I think it was a Corvair.  You can imagine how full it was with 3 adults, 5 kids and a baby.  But being young we hardly gave it a thought.

Phil had to request leave time so he could meet us in Waterloo.  It took a few days, but he finally received his leave.  Dan had talked to me about getting saved, and I was getting a hunger in my heart for God.  My first experience with Pentecostals was not very pleasant.  I thought everyone was crazy.  Dan's church seemed different, maybe because I had a lot of respect for him as a person.  I knew he was different.  Phil got there in time to go to church on Sunday.  I don't remember what took place during the service that Sunday morning, and I don't remember what Dan had preached.  All I know is when the altar call was given, I wanted to go forward and give my life to Christ.  Phil was on the outside seat.  I looked at him to see if he was going to go forward, but he didn't move.  I didn't care.  I needed something in my life, and I knew it was at that altar, so I pushed my way past Phil and went to pray.  Dan and some of the people came and prayed with and for me, and I knew Jesus came into my heart.  I just felt a peace that all was well.  That night as we lay in bed, we talked about what had happened but Phil kept saying he was not ready yet.  I didn't know why he felt that way, but I didn't press him.

On the following Wednesday, we again had service and again Phil did not go forward.  After the service, Dan's wife, Hettie, was at work and Dan had to go pick  her up when she got off.  It was quite late when they got home, and Dan and Phil stayed in the car talking.  They talked for some time and soon went to the church which was next door, and Dan led Phil to the Lord.  Phil was saved and filled with the Holy Spirit.  I knew he was a new person, and I had such a deep love for him.  We talked most of the night while lying in bed.

Our lives began to change when we got home.  Phil was doing good but I was having trouble with quitting smoking.  I knew it was wrong to smoke, but the desire was so strong.  We had thrown away all the cigarettes and emptied all the ashtrays, so I couldn't find anything to smoke.  Phil didn't seem to have any problem with quitting but it seemed to have such a hold on me.  Everyday when Phil would go to the base, I would ask him to buy me a pack of cigarettes, but he would refuse.  If we would go anywhere and stop at a service station or store, I would ask him to buy some smokes and he would tell me, 'If you want them, you buy them.'  I would feel bad, so I wouldn't do it.

We had several friends that we fellowshipped with that were not Christians.  One, Valerie, whom I had known, from childhood in England.  She had married a G.I as well, and they happened to be sent to the same base as we were.  I went to her house one day thinking to myself that I could get a cigarette from her.  I had never told her about me getting saved, so I thought no one would ever know.  But to my own surprise, I found myself telling her how I had given my life to Jesus and what a change it had made in our life.  Her comment was, 'It won't last.  Just wait.  You'll be your old self after a while.'  Something rose in my heart, and I was almost filled with anger.  I said to my self, 'I'll show you.  This is not just some passing thing.  I'm going to live for God.'  I didn't get my cigarette that day because I wanted to prove to Valerie I had changed.  God knew what He was doing.  From that day on, I had settled it in my heart.  I was going to live for God. But, I still wanted to smoke.

We didn't have a Church of God anywhere near Oscoda or Tawas.  The nearest one was 65 miles away at Bay City.  We went to the Baptist Church with some friends, Ken and Mary, whom we had been stationed overseas with. I liked it but Phil wasn't finding what we really needed.  He had been licensed by the Church of God from the time he was 18 and he knew I needed more than what I had received at that time.  He was telling me about being filled with the Holy Ghost and speaking in other tongues.  I heard Phil speak in tongues and I knew he didn't know any other languages.  So I knew the Holy Spirit was real and when He filled your life, the evidence would be speaking in tongues.  I didn't understand it, but I knew it was real.  So we started looking for a Church of God.

We found a Church of God address in BayCity.  We didn't know at the time it was not Pentecostal.  So we made the trip early on Sunday morning and arrived in Bay City almost an hour and a half early  The kids were hungry and so were we.  We stopped at a restaurant for breakfast.  After we had eaten, we were sitting just talking when that old desire for a cigarette came back.  I asked Phil to buy a pack of cigarettes.  Phil angrily threw the money on the table and said, 'If you want them, you buy them.  I'm not going to get them for you.'  I picked up the money, went to the machine and bought a pack of Pall Malls.  But I didn't smoke any. In fact, I never opened the pack.

While sitting there, I began to feel very sick at my stomach.  Phil was already angry and hurt because of what I had done.  We got back in the car to go on to church and I told Phil I am sick and didn't think I could sit in church for the service.  That really made Phil mad.  Since we had been saved, he never got mad at me.  He turned to me and said, 'I knew what would happen when you bought those cigarettes.  You wouldn't want to go to church because you would want to smoke.  Here we've come all this way and you want to play sick and go home.'  At that, he drove out of the parking lot and drove back to our house without saying more than one or two words the whole way.

I really was sick.  I don't know how to explain it but I felt like I was dying.  I went straight to bed and soon Phil realized I was not faking it.  For the next 3 days, I lay in bed.  Phil called the base and told them I was sick, and he had to keep the children.  They gave him 3 days off.  He would have to go to work on the fourth day.  I woke up on the 4th day still as sick as I was the first day.  I had never opened the pack of Pall Malls; it was still in the glove box of the car.  God spoke to my heart and told me to throw them away and He would heal me.  Phil was getting ready to go to the base and I called him to my bed and told him to go get those cigarettes and throw them in the garbage.  He gladly did so, and I immediately got out of bed and felt like a new person.  I was completely healed.  I never desired a cigarette again.

We found an Assembly of God church in Tawas and began attending there.  Pastor Krish was a very good pastor.  He preached good solid messages.  We met some wonderful people, some were in the Air Force as well.  I was hungry for more of God and I would pray at church but never was able to pray through to receive the Holy Ghost.  I would go home after the service on Sunday and get down by my bed and pray for an hour or more.  Poor Phil had to get up early in the morning so he would pray for awhile, then get in bed and amen me.  On Pentecost Sunday, we came home and I wanted to pray.  I knew I needed the Holy Ghost and I longed for Him to fill my life.  We began praying about 10:00 or later and I just couldn't' stop.  Phil went to bed after praying for an hour or more and I continued.  About 1:30 a.m.  I began to feel the presence of God so strong I could hardly stand it.  My praise became louder and louder.  It woke up Phil and he got up and began praying again.  The joy of the Lord overwhelmed my soul and all at once I began to speak in a language I couldn't understand.  Such love I had never known overflowed in my heart.  I turned to Phil and threw my arms around him, I loved him so much all I could say was, 'Oh honey, I love you, I love you, I love you!!'

It was about 2:00 a.m. but I couldn't wait to tell what had happened.  I called Pastor Krish.  He managed to say, 'Praise the Lord' sleepily.  Then I called my landlady and told her I received the Holy Ghost and then began to speak in tongues.  She was speechless.  I'm sure they thought I had lost my mind, but I didn't care.  I was so full of love, joy, and peace of mind.  It was so wonderful.  How I praise God for His mercy and love and for His marvelous grace.  I would have never known true love and joy had it not been for God sending a backslidden preacher to England and drawing us together till His Spirit wooed us to Christ.

You Are A New Person

The Bible says:

When someone becomes a Christian, he becomes a brand new person inside.  He is not the same any more.  A new life has begun!

2 Corinthians 5:17

Say this:

            I am a new person.  I have a new life, a God centered life.

The Bible says:

All these new things are from God, who brought us back to Himself through what Christ Jesus did.  And God has given us the privilege of urging everyone to come into His favor and be reconciled to Him.

2 Corinthians 5:18

God bridged the gap of sin between you and Him by Jesus dying on the cross.  He now has given you the honor and privilege of telling people how to find that same favor with God through what Jesus has done for them.

The Bible says:

He died for all so that all who live --- having received eternal life from Him --- might live no longer for themselves, to please themselves, but to spend their lives pleasing Christ who died and rose again for them.

2 Corinthians 5:15

Jesus died so you could have eternal life with Him in Heaven.  Jesus is calling you to now live for Him, doing only those things with your life that would please Him.

To learn more about what you should now do, go to the next page.

What Do I Do Now?

1.   Find a church, and attend every time the doors are open.

2.   Attend Bible studies and Sunday School.

3.   Get a Bible, and read it every day.

4.   Pray every day, morning, noon, and night.

5.   Tell people what Jesus has done for you.

6.   Write out your real life story, your testimony, and give it to people.

7.   Make a public profession of your faith by being baptized in water.

8.      Shout.  Yes, Shout!  Friend, you have something to shout about.  You've been set free.  Death cannot hold you, and Hell can't have you.  You belong to God and no matter what happens in this life, as long as you continue to walk with Him, you will be with Him in Heaven'




Dear Reader - are you at peace with God?  If not, you can be.  Do you know what awaits you when you die?  You can have the assurance from God that heaven will be your home, if you would like to be certain.  Either Jesus Christ died for yours sins, or He didn't (He did!).  Are you prepared to stand before God on the Judgment Day and tell Him that you didn't need the shed blood of Jesus Christ on the Cross to have your sins forgiven and get in right-standing with God?  We plead with you ... please don't make such a tragic mistake.

To get to know God; to be at peace with God; to have your sins forgiven; to make certain heaven will be your home for eternity; to make certain that you are in right-standing with God right now ... please click here to help understand the importance of being reconciled to God.  What you do about being reconciled to God will determine where you will spend eternity, precious one.  Your decision to be reconciled to God is the most important decision you'll ever make in this life. 

Copyright ' Precious Testimonies. 1998-2009 All rights reserved.